World Book Day - Thursday 5 March 2009
World Book Day (WBD) is the biggest annual celebration of books and reading in the UK. It aims to encourage children and young people to explore the pleasure of reading by giving them the opportunity to have a book of their own.
Pre-schools, primary and secondary schools distribute special £1 Book Tokens to children that can be exchanged for one of the six specially published World Book Day £1 Books, or are redeemable against any book or audiobook of their choice at a participating bookshop or book club (terms and conditions apply).
The WBD £1 Books for 2009 are:
- The Tyrannosaurus Drip songbook by Julia Donaldson and David Roberts
- Winnie to the Rescue! by Laura Owen and Korky Paul with Yuck's Rotten Joke by Matt and Dave (age 5+)
- Mr Gum and the Hound of Lamonic Bibber by Andy Stanton with Beast Quest: Sephir the Storm Monster by Adam Blade (age 7+)
- Percy Jackson and the Sword of Hades by Rick Riordan with Horrible Histories: Groovy Greeks by Terry Deary & Martin Brown (age 7+)
- Interception Point by Mark Walden with The Spook's Tale by Joseph Delaney (age 9+)
- An Episode from Mates Dates: The Secret Story by Cathy Hopkins with Ten Stations by Jenny Valentine (age 11+)
Waterstone's St Albans will have the WBD £1 Books in store but remember that stocks are limited and all WBD tokens must be redeemed between Mon 2 Mar and Sun 29 Mar inclusive.
Visit the WBD website for more information, games, downloads, screensavers, colouring sheets and activity packs for all ages.
The WBD team asked publishers to nominate books they thought deserved to reach a wider readership and would make good subjects for discussion. See the ten titles shortlisted on the Spread the Word website. Vote for your favourite and you'll have the chance to win £100 of book tokens. Voting closes at noon on Fri 27 Feb. The winning title will be announced on World Book Day.
For ideas on books to share with your children, try Great Books to Read Aloud by bestselling author Jacqueline Wilson.