Christmas 2009 in St Albans
Find that festive feeling
Enjoy seasonal menus and special offers at local restaurants in St Albans. Book now for parties and Christmas Day lunches:
- Bar Meze - Christmas meze menu - lunch £19.95 (12noon - 4pm), dinner £24.95 (7pm - midnight) for three courses, dessert or coffee. Vegetarian options available. Bring your dancing shoes. Book a table.
- Cibo Di Vino - Customised set menus available to suit different occasions and budgets. Book a table.
- Darcys - Seasonal set menu (max 10 guests) - two courses £13, three courses £15 (+ £2.60 for a large glass of house wine). Available 12-2.30pm Mon to Sat and 6-7pm Mon to Sun. Christmas party menu - three courses £29.90. Christmas Day lunch menu - canapés, champagne and three courses £95 (£45 for 5 to 12 year olds, under 5s free).
- Loch Fyne - Seasonal menu - £22 for three courses and coffee.
- Lussmanns - Seasonal menu - £22.50 for three courses. Set menu - two courses £10.95, three courses £13.95 (12 noon to 7pm, max 10 guests). Free booking for up to 45 people. Book a table.
- Savanna at the Black Lion Inn - Festive Menu, Festive party menu - three courses for £25.95 Christmas Day - five courses with champagne, canapes and coffee £95. Menus. Book a table.
- Sazio - Seasonal lunch menu - two courses £16, three courses £20. Seasonal dinner menu - three courses £25.
- The Albany - Christmas party menu - £24.95 for three courses, coffee and petit fours. Pre-booking and £10 deposit per head required. Christmas Day lunch menu - canapés, champagne and three courses with coffee and petit fours for £59.95. Children's menu available. Open daily in Dec (closed 27 & 28).
- The Lake Restaurant at St Michael's Manor - Pre-Christmas lunch menu (7 to 23 Dec) - £29.95 / £34.50 for 2/3 courses with coffee and mince pies. Pre-Christmas dinner menu (7 to 23 Dec) - £35.50 / £42 for 2/3 courses with amuse bouche, coffee and mince pies. Christmas Eve dinner menu - Kir Royale, canapés and four courses with coffee and mince pies for £59.50. Christmas Day lunch menu - canapés, champagne, amuse bouche and three courses with coffee and mince pies for £125. Boxing Day lunch menu - three courses with coffee and mince pies for £57.
- The Peahen - Seasonal menu - two or three courses £14.95 / £18.95, festive buffet £12.95. Complimentary Prosecco reception for bookings made and deposits paid before 31 Oct and 10% food discount for parties on Mon to Wed. (note: over 21s only).
See a show
Details of carol concerts can be found in our music section. Enjoy live theatre at these local venues:
- The Abbey Theatre - Treasure Island. Amateur dramatics group The Company of Ten present Robert Louis Stevenson's classic gripping yarn. From 17 Dec to 2 Jan, various times, £5 - £9.50 (concs available). Book
- The Alban Arena - The Little Mermaid. A new pantomime adaptation of the classic Hans Christian Andersen fairytale starring Sarah Jane Honeywell from Cbeebies. From 2 Dec to 3 Jan, various times, £12.50 - £20. Book
- The Maltings Arts Theatre - Aladdin and His Magic Lamp. An original version of the traditional pantomime with great comedy, catchy songs, music and dance. From 19 Dec to 28 Dec, various times, £9 (£7.50 concs), family ticket £30.
- Trestle Arts Base - Giraffes Can't Dance. A funny, touching and triumphant story, based on the best-selling children’s book by poet Giles Andreae and illustrator Guy Parker-Rees. Ages 4 to 7. From 19 to 23 Dec, various times, £6 - £8, family ticket £25. Book
- The Radlett Centre - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Family pantomime with live music and lots of audience participation. From 12 Dec to 3 Jan, various times, £13 - £16. Book
- Harpenden Public Halls - Jack and The Beanstalk. Entertainment for all ages. From 17 to 20 Dec, various times. £9 - £12.
- Watford Palace Theatre - Cinderella. Classic family panto. From 28 Nov to 2 Jan, various times, £9.50 to £20. Book
- Campus West, Welwyn - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Mad About Productions present music, magic and mayhem in their interpretation of this classic pantomime. Ages 4+. From 9 Dec to 1 Jan, various times, £7 - £15. Book
Do some Christmas shopping
- Book Fair in the Town Hall from now until 31 Dec (Mon to Sat 9am - 6pm, Sun 10am - 5pm)
- Christmas Market in St Peters Street daily (8am - 4pm) from 19 to 24 Dec - weather permitting
Join Christmas Services at The Abbey
- Mon 21 Dec - Festival of Lessons and Carols (admission by ballot ticket only)
- Tue 22 & Wed 23 Dec - Usual daily services
- Christmas Eve - 3pm Crib Service for children and young families, 5.30pm Choral Evensong, 11.30pm Midnight Mass (doors open from 10.50pm). Details.
- Christmas Day - 8am Eucharist (traditional language) with carols, 9.30am Parish Eucharist for all ages with creche and children's activities, 11.15am Matins, 12.30pm Eucharist. Details.
- Boxing Day - 8.30am Morning Prayer, 9am & 12 noon Eucharist, 4pm Carols for all the family.
Stay the night
Sopwell House Hotel is offering a special bed and breakfast rate of £55 per person based on two people sharing a twin/double (21 to 26 Dec). Their luxury festive package includes overnight accommodation, full English breakfast, a three-course dinner in the Brasserie or dinner in The Restaurant with a contribution of £22.50 per person and a £20 voucher towards the spa treatment of your choice. All for £115 per person per night based on 2 people sharing a double or twin (27 Dec to 31 Jan excluding New Year's Eve). Book