advertise here

Venues Listed in Film

Venues per page:   Showing 7 of 7 venues Show all information

Trestle Arts Base

Trestle Arts Base

Tickets for all performances at Trestle Arts Base can be bought online here

A beautiful conversion of a Victorian chapel, Trestle Arts Base (TAB) is a unique centre hosting theatre, dance, films, art installations, exhibitions and community events. It is home to the touring Trestle Theatre Company and the Trestle Mask Workshop.

The Gallery Cafe serves a selection of hot and cold drinks and cold snacks.

Trestle Taking Part offers a wide-ranging programme of workshops, residencies and training for all ages and abilities from pre-school children to professional performers. Creative activities include:

  • Story Tent (2 years+) – storytelling and craft for pre-school children and parents
  • Trestle offers an extensive range of training from mask and physical theatre INSET and CPD courses for teachers, professional practitioners and workshop leaders, an MA in Education (Drama),  to corporate training for business groups.
  • Trestle has an inspiring and exciting programme of drama workshops in physical, visual and mask theatre delivered by our professional practitioners. From two hour theatre workshops to week long residencies, we offer activities to suit all levels and abilities.
  • Trestle Theatre Masks are handcrafted on site and shipped all over the world.

Follow Trestle Arts Base on Twitter and Facebook.

2 reviews

Odeon

Odeon

A brief history of the Odeon, with thanks to Cinema Treasures.

In 1927 St. Albans' first cinema (the Alpha, later called the Poly and still later, the Regent) burned down. The site was cleared and on 3 December 1931 the Capitol Cinema opened its doors. It had been designed by Percival Blow and J. Martin Hatfield, with internal decorations and design by Robert Cromie. It seated 1,168 in the stalls and 452 in the balcony. There was a 20 foot deep stage. Due to the slope of the land the cinema was entered at balcony level and patrons descended to the stalls. The Capitol Cinema was equipped with a Compton 2Manual/6Ranks theatre organ, a cafe and three dressing rooms.

In 1934 the cinema was enlarged, to the plans of Messrs Kemp and Tasker, to 1,728 seats. The Capitol was bought by General Cinema Finance and then passed to Odeon, who renamed the cinema in 1945.

One of the first batch of cinemas selected for tripling, the new three-screen complex opened in January 1973 with the two smaller screens (115 and 129 seats) tucked under the balcony and the circle still seating 452 as Screen 1. A fourth screen was added in 1988 in the front stalls area. All closed on 20th August 1995.

Find out more about the purchase and restoration of the former Odeon. 

0 reviews

X
Images, css and javascript optimized via IISpeed by We-AMP