Cathedral and Abbey Church of Saint Alban
The Cathedral and Abbey Church of Saint Alban is built on what is believed to be the site of the martyrdom of St Alban (c. 250) and its construction began around 1077. It is the seat of the Bishop of St Albans, serves the Diocese of St Albans in Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Luton and Barnet, and is a parish church with a large and active congregation. A centre of worship with daily services, the cathedral also has a world renowned musical tradition and a highly regarded education centre which is responsible for school visits. Visitor facilities include a bookshop, gift shop and café. Entrance is by the west door. Disabled access is by the east end door.
The St Albans Cathedral Guides run special subject tours on the first Sunday of every month. Meet at the west door at 3pm if you'd like to join them.
- Dates and times: Cathedral open daily 8am-5.45pm (8am-1pm on Christmas Day). Café: Mon-Sat 10am-4.30pm, Sun 2.30-5pm. Information desk: Mon-Sat 10.30am-4.30pm. Guided tours: Mon-Fri 11.30am & 2.30pm, Sat 11.30am & 2pm, Sun 2.30pm. Adult groups should book in advance (01727 860780). Schools should contact the education centre (01727 890212).
- Hire information: The refectory can be hired for private functions. Contact the manager on 01727 890214.
Address and Contact info
- Address: Sumpter Yard
- Town: St Albans
- County: Herts
- Postcode: AL1 1BY
- Phone: 01727 860780
- Contact: Dean Jeffrey John
- Email: email Cathedral and Abbey Church of Saint Alban
- Website: visit website (opens in new window)
Add your business to allaboutstalbans
Get your business in front of more customers with allaboutstalbans.com
Each year over 330,000 visitors look at pages on this website. That's a lot of potential customers! We can help your business reach more people in a number of different ways.
Find out more